JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Thursday, June 16, 2005

'Kids Eat Free" Wednesday

This is a new concept for us.
We used to steer clear of restaurants that had a kiddie menu altogether, nevermind a big freakin' sign that stated that "Kids Eat Free"..
Sometimes they don't even need a sign.
Sometimes everyone in the freakin' city just KNOWS that kids eat free on a certain day of the week there.
Except for us.

It's 5:30. We're hungry. Just get back from driving out to see if they have done anything with our new lot. (They haven't...no worries...lotsa time)

It's raining. I'm tired. I ain't cookin'.

Head into this Italian restaurant...get seated...order..
The crayons and placemat are a hit
For about 7 seconds

They gotta do something about that
It would be in everyone's best interest if they provided each table with a kid a portable DVD player, a Disney movie and li'l headphones to watch for the length of their visit...
Don't you agree?

Warning:
Don't give a 2 year old a choice when it comes to food in a restaurant.
They seem to always pick the last thing you mention
As their memory is still developing.
I KNEW this rule
But ignored it for some reason.

She said she wanted Macaroni & Cheese.
It came.
She didn't.

"Could I have a Kid Spaghetti? She doesn't want this, but we'll still eat it"
"We" usually means 'Me"
(Above Statement = Reason my ASS is growing larger by the day)

The spaghetti comes. She eats it.
I KNOW spaghetti is a guarantee.
What was I thinking?

The bill comes.
$0 for the mac 'n'cheese.
$0 for the spaghetti.

Oh great. NOW they think we're friggen vagrants
That hop from restaurant to restaurant on 'kids eat free' days
Ordering unlimited amounts of food for our kid
PLUS we asked them to wrap everything up
So we can feed our kid TOMORROW
On THEIR dime, TOO!

I mention this to Hub
I'm "f&*$& ridiculous", he says.
Because I think too much about stuff like that.

I do. I know.

7 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

I prefer to just go the drive-thru route. Anthony was always easy to please though, if they didn't have ribs on the menu he always chose chicken fingers. Of course he would drill the waitress on what brand bbq sauce was used for dipping. At a very early age he was able to make his decisions and stick to them. Now his half-brothers and sisters were a whole different story!

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Kids eat free places were avoided like the plaque by me for years, before I had kids.

Didn't go to often with the girls but it was a great deal when we did. Until one day, Zoe, then about 5, got her 7-up and told me it tasted funny and to taste it. It was gin and tonic! I swear! We told the overburdened and really didn't give a rat's ass that he just served a exceptionally underage child alcohol, waiter and he switched her drink. Fixed, or so he thought. I went to the manager...who said he was sorry and that it was very busy in the bar, but would look into it. We never went back.

Never give KIDS a choice when it comes to food. Just plop it in front of them. One could choose the other would worry herself to tears trying to decide!

I got away with getting one happy meal and splitting it between the two for years. Finally, they caught on.

Take your own personal size dvd player to the restaurant! They have little 5" screens, very portable and can be used anywhere, anytime you need a video babysitter!

Eating on there dime for a couple of days it sounds like! Well done mom. You do know!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I meant plague....


The comment you left cracked me up!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

And I meant on their dime...
First sip of coffee is my defense!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger BonnyT said...

Oh, we have a DVD player (10 inch screen, thank you very much ;) )..but that is in the car most of the time...pain to unhook it constantly...

I still think they should LEND you one. But then again, there are probably more vagrant-like people than we are, who would probably walk out with that AND the food to feed their kids for a week....

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Unless they hook them up like those hotel remote controls that belong to the TV mounted on the wall.
Who is going to steal a remote? I will gladly give some of mine away! I have a drawer full.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Just Jan said...

don't feel bad at all about going out to eat when it's kids eat free nights...the restaurants are the ones "asking" for and chaos. I work at a small restaurant..(we don't offer a kids eat free night) and get alot of families. Trust me,parents only know what the kid wants for dinner when at home in our own kitchens...(mine were the same..so no choices given). Just the other night I had a server say to me that this is the 3rd attempt at a dish for 2 young boys at table 12..I peeked out and sure enough mom was ready to pull out her hair. (I'm glad mine are grown, my patience level went way down hill...hehehe). Fear not, they eventually grow out of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home