JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Monday, June 27, 2005

it's all about the loot-bag

My very smart little 2-year-old
Was invited to a birthday party yesterday

The invitation said
"The kids will get wet"
That's A-OK by me
It's 3000 degrees outside again

So I dress her up,
Pack a little bag with her bathing suit
And stuff
Walk on over
She trips
Skins her knee
Ouch.

Head into the 'party yard'
My eyes scan the yard for something 'wet'
A big pool, a Barbie pool, a sprinkler, a hose
Something
Because its 3000 degrees outside

There is a 'water table'
It's like a stand up sandbox
Filled with water and boats and stuff

THIS is what the warning was all about.
A 'water table'.
I tuck my bag with my kids swimsuit
Quietly under a table

Did I mention it was 3000 degrees outside?

I put 3 full coats of Coppertone Waterbabies 50
On her in a little over an hour
And she was still getting red by the second
She was also getting crankier by the second

So we took off.
Thank them for having us
And left
I wasn't going to sit back there hovered around the
Water table
In 3000 degree heat
With a red, cranky, smart 2 year old
Any longer
Thanks, but no thanks.

Damn.
We left before the loot bags.
Who cares, says Hub.
It's ALL about the loot bag. I say.
I get an eye-roll.

A few hours later
A knock on the door
'You guys left before the loot bags'
Handed my very smart 2 year old hers.

We look through it when they leave
Unimpressed.
The contents went hand in hand with the party,
Me thinks. LOL

Hub was right.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Sometimes I think we spent more on the loot bags then the parties! Always known for great loot bags....

When my kids were very little and in Montessori school, it was insane. Every birthday brought goodies for all the students in class. This was on top of the loot bags for the party as well.

Back then it was keeping up with the Jones'. Glad those days are over! LOL

3000 degrees, just might be a record there, Bonn! LMAO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home