JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

wrong things

As I sit here
This morning
Glancing out the window
Wondering what to write about

As I sit here
Feeling a little nauseous
Like I do every morning
But knowing that that's the sign
Of the new life inside

As I sit here
I spot my very pregnant neighbour
Walking her dogs

Walking her dogs
With a smoke in one hand
And their leashes in the other

She's in her 7th month

I read somewhere that the fetuses
Lungs begin to work on their own
At 7 months
Great
Just in time for it to unknowingly breathe in
All that crap
That their mom is knowingly breathing in

Now, I'm not trying to preach
My mom smoked with both of us
But you did that back then

You shouldn't now.
Bottom line.
You shouldn't.

There is enough info out there
To explain WHY you shouldn't
To PROVE what the risks are

My thoughts are
WHY WOULD YOU?
or
HOW COULD YOU?

I can't even bear to look at her
Always with an effin' butt in her hand
And her big, beautiful, innocent belly

I was a smoker
But the day I peed on the stick
And saw 2 lines
With my very smart 2 year old
That was my last day as a smoker

I remember feeling GUILTY
To have been smoking for her first 5 weeks of life!

As I said
I don't mean this to be preachy
It is just my opinion
My blog, my opinion

It just isn't the right thing to do.
Period

5 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Blogger Just Jan said...

Amen!!!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Rumour Miller said...

Ditto.

It bothers me to watch pregnant women being so careless. Knowing everything we have "given up" in order to be as healthy as possible so that we may be blessed with a baby.

We don't drink caffine, or alcohol or smoke. Heck we even cut sugar out of the equation - JUST IN CASE...

That poor baby, a smoker already. No choice.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

"I was a smoker
But the day I peed on the stick
And saw 2 lines
With my very smart 2 year old
That was my last day as a smoker"

{{bonny}} :) ^5

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger EVA MAHONEY said...

Sometimes there is no logic. My view is, if I can quit, anyone can quit. Smoking is so yesterday...for anyone.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

You're right. Nobody pregnant should smoke. Nobody should, but some of us do. Although I quit when I was pregnant, I started again years later. Nasty habit and I will be quitting again soon...again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home