JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Friday, July 01, 2005

Eh??

Yes, that's one way.

Since today is Canada Day here in the Great White North
Here I sit trying to think of all the ways
People can TELL you are a Canuck

The staple "eh?" at the end of almost every sentence
Although I try my very best to limit it's use
Sometimes it truly just slips out

The other is APPARENTLY we say "aboot"
Instead of 'about'
Although I don't hear that come oot at all...

You can definitely tell us apart in Florida
In the middle of March
With our glow-in-the-dark legs
I guess that can be said for a lot of people

But, we say 'ketchup', not 'catsup'
And 'pop', not 'soda'
When we order 'tea'
We ALWAYS mean HOT tea
(If we want iced tea
We ASK for ICED tea)
We ask for directions to the washroom
Which is the same as bathroom, toilet and can
When the mercury rises about 55 farenheit
We will usually be in a pair of shorts

We're friendly and talkative
Kind and patient
We have no problem making fun of ourselves
As we are a confident bunch
We love our beer and we love our hockey
We love that we have 4 very different seasons
And we welcome the changes each one brings

Oh yes...and this just in
You can marry whomever you want up here..
Love is the only pre-requisite

Happy Canada Day
To All my Canuckie stranger-friends

Have a good day oot and aboot, eh?

4 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

"Have a good day oot and aboot, eh?


LOL! Happy Canada Day Bonny..I'm about to go oot and aboot. Have a good one.

btw..It's called a " Haddit" what Ro wears on her head. She takes her old t-shirts < when she's haddit> and cuts off the sleeves...She blog about it..But I can't find it now.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Rumour Miller said...

Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is NICOLE!
And I am Canadian!!!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Very cute post Bonn...

I do love your Oh Canada song! I think it is very pretty and easier to sing than our nationa anthem, The Star Spangled Banner.

I have heard the aboot and eh....Even my friend in Michigan does it though! LOL

You have a happy Canada Day Bonn....

Oh yes, Heidi is right. Rosie does use the sleeves she cuts out of t-shirts to put on her head! I remember her telling the story, but not sure if it was a talk show or blog story!

And to think I have been throwing out perfectly good sleeves all this time! LMAO

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger BonnyT said...

Haddits, eh? How could I have missed that?

She's probably laughing her ass off right now thinking "this dork thinks I BUY these things!"...LMAO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home