JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Friday, June 03, 2005

smiles

It seems like a long time ago
And only yesterday
All at the same time

How can that be?
I've tried to figure that out
Many times

When you know that the chance of looking at each other
Face to face, smile to smile
Is never going to happen again.
When you know where the person is
But circumstances hold you back from getting together
That's when it feels like
"A long time ago"

But
When you think of the unquestionable connection
The two of you have
Because of past feelings, past conversations, past tears
When you think of memories
And you smile
That's when it "seems like only yesterday"

Knowing
That I can pick up the phone and dial
And there you are
Is very, very unnerving
Bittersweet, actually
As I know that the sound of your voice will make me smile
Even before I hear it
But who knows what that smile will turn into
Before too long
That's the hard part.

But
I find it so very, very comforting
To know that if I ever did dial
That you would be there, smiling
And
I find it soothing to know that you're
Thinking of me
Once in awhile
Or maybe more

For me it's more than once in awhile

So we keep our distance
Or perhaps it's just me keeping the distance
Life takes over, I suppose

We read each other's words from time to time
And smile at those, instead
We talk about our memories
And smile at those, always

Thinking back to
You and I
Always with a smile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home