JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Friday, May 27, 2005

TIN

I just looked up what a '10th Anniversary" means. You know, 25 years is silver, 50 years is gold. 10 years is tin. Even better is the fact that "aluminum" is followed in brackets beside it. Who thinks up this stuff?

If you haven't figured it out, today is my husband and my 10th wedding anniversary. A Decade of Wedded Bliss. I know, I know...corny. Let's just say we made it a "Decade Without Killing Each Other". That seems like more of an accomplishment nowadays, don't you think?

I remember waking up this time 10 years ago and immediately looking out the window.
Sunshine. No evidence of a grey cloud or rain anywhere in sight. I was secretly hoping for an early morning sprinkle that day, so I could be assured of some sort of lottery winnings sometime throughout our marriage. Nope. Sunshine and blue, blue skies. Ah well.

That was a fun day. I remember I promised myself to take time out every so often and just take everything in and enjoy it. And enjoy it, we did. Everything went off without a 'hitch'. The only thing I remember worrying about, as brief as it was, was our nephew's tux. All the girls were posing in my parents living room before the ceremony, and across the way, in walks my sister-in-law with our neice and nephew...the flowergirl and the ring bearer. Shannon looks like an angel. Matthew walks in with his pantlegs a good 4 inches off the ground...with kelly green socks on! It wouldn't have been so bad if my colours WEREN'T midnight blue. I remember spotting this, and my best friend said (without un-posing for the camera) "we'll fix it". She was always one step ahead of me that day.

So the day was terrific. But not as terrific as the past 10 years have been. It's been filled with humour and love and understanding and patience and kidness. It's had it's ups and its downs like most marriages, but to come through it all says something.

I think it says it deserves more that tin (aluminum).

Oh wait, I just found the modern translation. Diamonds.

NOW we're talkin'!

(Happy Anniversary, Honey!)

3 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Rumour Miller said...

I am all about the diamonds... Before we married I told my hubby that I wanted a ring with diamonds all the way around it for our 10 year anniversary. Told him early enough so he could start saving!

Congratulations to you and your husband on 10 years!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger meelo said...

yeah, tin definitely sounds like a ring out of a candy machine. diamonds are much more girl-friendly. happy anniversary!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Congratulations! Ten is a big one!

Diamonds are always good. Multi-functional as well. They can cut glass if you ever need too!

Hope you have fun celebrating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home