JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Friday, May 13, 2005

e-snippiness

I don't know about you, but I respond to what I think is e-snippiness, with more e-snippiness. Seems fair to me.

It gets confusing when the conversation is taking place online, in either MSN, AIM or whatever messenger service you use. You tend to read comments in your head differently than how the person typing them actually MEANT them. This can lead to MANY problems.

At the first sign of, what we are calling e-snippiness, the other person responds with the same. From that point on, it just grows and grows until sometimes, you both leave the e-conversation with the same feeling as you have when you fight face to face with a friend. Well, maybe "fight' is a strong word...when you have a DISCUSSION with a friend.

Same goes for e-snippy emails. These can be harmful to a friendship. A very good friend and I have actually gone 2 weeks without emailing as a direct result of reading 'e-snipppiness' into emails where there wasn't supposed to be any at all. I blamed hers on the lack of smilies and emoticons (because EVERYONE KNOWS a winky-man means "KIDDING!!!")...and she blamed mine on too MANY. I'm an LOL and LMAO-lover...what can I say?? There can never be too many smilies, either, I don't think.

I guess you just have to know the person really well so you can actually hear what they are typing as if they were saying it, in your head.

Life is too damn short to e-fight, don't you think?

3 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger The Preacher's Kid said...

Wow, do I know what you're talking about. I recently entered into an email conversation with a friend and I became convinced that he was being vindictive toward a mutual friend. I met with him face-to-face and, sad to say, I was correct in my understanding. I'm glad it's not always the case.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Rumour Miller said...

Life IS too short for e-fighting!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

In emails that I think I have or have not misunderstood, I send them to a good friend to decipher. She can tell be if I am interpeting it correctly, being hypersenstive, am right on or just stupid!

On IM though, by the time one question is answered, sometimes another comes out and then the previous answer is for the current question and makes no sense!

Did you follow all that?

Ok, yes, I know what you are talking about Bonny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home