JustThinkin

The thoughts and ramblings of an easy-going Canadian mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, neighbour and sometimes just a friendly face in the crowd....

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

summer storytime

I love this.
Our local library holds a summer storytime session
For the kids.

My very smart 2 year old loves this, too.

We went to the first one this morning.
Stories, song, dance
She was into it all
She hasn't quite mastered
Hopping up and down yet
But she improvises
She's usually with kids the same age as she is
In programs just for her age group
But these are for kids 6 and under
She was mesmerized watching them all

And me?
What was taking my attention
Away from "Head & Shoulders, Knees & Toes"
at
Summer Storytime?

A nursing child.

Now, don't get me wrong
I nursed my very smart 2 year old
Up until she was a very smart 1 year old
A full year
I was very proud of myself
But never in public
I just didn't feel comfortable
But some do
And that's fine
There isn't a thing wrong with breastfeeding your infant
When they are hungry

But, I think when your child
IS old enough to jump up and down
Can follow "Head & Shoulders" perfectly
And speak in full sentences
And isn't wearing a diaper anymore

When your child is old enough
To say
"Mommy, I'm thirsty"
Whips your shirt up
And nurses
Right there
in
Summer storytime

That's too old.

Just my opinion

It's my blog
And I'll say what I wanna

That is just too old.

4 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I know it is done and especially in impoverished nations.
I do agree with you though. Hopefully she will stop before puberty.
I think kids older than three need more nutrition than mom's milk. I am sure this child eats regular meals as well, but water is necessary and occasionally juice.
It must be handy though! LOL

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Just Jan said...

Mother's pump their milk for bottles when out in public when they feel uncomfortable nursing in public..( I was one of those Mother's)...so why can't she pump this milk into a sippy cup. I 100% agree that this child is way too old for hanging on a nipple either at home or in public.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Rumour Miller said...

I agree, too old. My motto is "if they are old enough to ask for it, they are too old"

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger lightfeather said...

I'm with the crowd on this one. When she's naming the body parts, that is old enough not to be asking for one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home